WEDNESDAY April 2, 2025 |
By thenewsdesk.ng

The Edo State government said operatives of the Department of State Services (DSS) have arrested two principal suspects linked to the killing of 16 Nigerians of Northern extraction in Uromi, Esan North East Local Government Area.

The victims, who were hunters travelling from Port Harcourt, Rivers State, to Kano for the Sallah celebration on March 28, were intercepted by local vigilantes, mistaken for kidnappers, and lynched.

In a statement, Fred Itua, Chief Press Secretary to Governor Monday Okpebholo, confirmed that the suspects were arrested in Uromi following credible intelligence.

He added that security agencies are actively pursuing other key suspects involved in the tragic incident.

He said the arrested individuals have been transferred to Abuja for further interrogation and prosecution by the relevant authorities.

Governor Okpebholo, during a condolence visit to Kano State on Monday, disclosed that 14 other suspects had already been apprehended in connection with the killings.

He assured the victims’ families that justice would be served and that adequate compensation would be provided.