The News Desk
Foreign News

Israel To Expand Gaza Military Operation With Large-Scale Evacuations, Says Defence Minister

WEDNESDAY April 2, 2025 |
By thenewsdesk.ng

Israel announced a major expansion of military operations in Gaza on Wednesday, saying large areas of the enclave would be seized and added to its security zones, accompanied by large-scale evacuation of population.

Israeli leaders have been encouraged by signs of protest in Gaza against Hamas, the militant group which has controlled the enclave since 2007 and the expanded operation appeared at least partly aimed at increasing civilian pressure on its leaders.

In a statement, Defence Minister Israel Katz said the evacuation would take place from areas where there is fighting, while urging Gazans to eliminate Hamas and return Israeli hostages as the only way to end the war.

The Israeli military had already issued evacuation warnings to Gazans living around the southern city of Rafah and towards the city of Khan Yunis, telling them to move to the Al-Mawasi area on the shore, previously designated a humanitarian zone.

Israel’s Army Radio said the 36th division, sent to the Southern Command area last month to prepare for operations in Gaza, would take part in the operation.

Katz’s statement did not make clear how much land Israel intends to seize.

Israeli forces have already set up a significant buffer zone within Gaza, expanding an area that existed around the edges of the enclave before the war and adding a large security area in the so-called Netzarim corridor through the middle of Gaza.

At the same time, Israeli leaders have said they plan to facilitate voluntary departure of Palestinians from the enclave, after U.S. President Donald Trump called for it to be permanently evacuated and redeveloped as a coastal resort under U.S. control.

Katz’s remarks came after Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu repeated calls for Hamas to disarm and said the application of military pressure was the best way to get back the remaining 59 hostages.

“I call on the residents of Gaza to act now to eliminate Hamas and return all the kidnapped,” Katz said in his statement, which added that the operation would clear the area of militants and their infrastructure.
“This is the only way to end the war,” Katz said.

WAR EXPANDS

Israel resumed air strikes on Gaza last month and sent ground troops back in, after two months of relative calm following the conclusion of a U.S.-backed truce to allow the exchange of hostages held by Hamas for Palestinian prisoners in Israeli jails.

Related posts

Gaza War Will Continue Throughout 2024 – Israeli Army

Publisher
1 year ago

13 Killed In China School Fire Incident

Publisher
1 year ago

Liberian President, Boakai seeks stronger bilateral relations with Nigeria

Publisher
11 months ago
Exit mobile version