The News Desk
Foreign News

Gazans’ Relocation: Egypt’s Foreign Minister Heads To US For Talks

Sunday February 9, 2025 | TheNewsDESK

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty left for Washington on Sunday to meet top US officials and members of Congress after former President Donald Trump floated a plan to relocate Gazans to Egypt and Jordan, the AFP reports.

His departure came as Cairo announced it would host an “emergency Arab summit” on February 27 to discuss “the latest serious developments” concerning the Palestinian territories.

According to a statement by the Egyptian foreign ministry, Abdelatty’s visit aims “to boost bilateral relations and (the) strategic partnership between Egypt and the US” and will include “consultations on regional developments”.

Egypt has been seeking to rally Arab allies against Trump’s plan for Gaza, with Abdelatty speaking with partners including Jordan, Saudi Arabia, and the United Arab Emirates on Friday to strengthen opposition to any forced displacement of Palestinians from their land.

In a separate statement, the ministry said Cairo was calling an emergency regional gathering “after extensive consultations by Egypt at the highest levels with Arab countries in recent days, including Palestine, which requested the summit”.

It also coordinated with Bahrain, which currently chairs the Arab League, the statement said.

Last week, Trump floated the idea of US administration over Gaza, envisioning the rebuilding of the devastated territory into the “Riviera of the Middle East” after resettling Palestinians elsewhere, namely Egypt and Jordan.

The remarks have sparked global backlash, and Arab countries have firmly rejected the proposal, insisting on a two-state solution with an independent Palestinian state alongside Israel.

Related posts

Over 100 drones Launched By Iran; Air Force Begins Shooting Them Down Outside Israel’s Borders

Publisher
8 months ago

US Supreme Court Stops President Trump From Deporting Migrants

Publisher
10 months ago

Russia’s Deadly Drone, Missile Barrage Kills 12 in Ukraine as War Drags On

Publisher
9 months ago
Exit mobile version